odd-lot thoughts

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Email subscriptions vs RSS feeds

My email subscription experiment through Bloglet is a failure. (See the post Adding Subscriptions Via Email, below).

I tested it out on myself, and found I was getting updates with the text of draft posts as well as completed posts. Blogger allows me to create a post and save it as a draft; I assume other blogging software has that feature but I don't know for sure.

Since I tried the email subscription on myself, I started getting emails when I started a draft. I tried contacting the person behind Bloglet, but no answer. So I've expunged the form from the sidebar, and unsubscribed as well.

Email subscriptions are not useful anyway, in my opinion. I subscribed via email to a few blogs which then added RSS. I'm in the process of unsubscribing to the email now. Soon most subscriptions will be offered via RSS, I hope. It's just so much easier. And RSS will be easier for new folks to set up, too.

And speaking of RSS, here's a tutorial put together by Alex Halavais, on how to subscribe to feeds using Bloglines. It's a good step by step which he put together for his students. I found this via Steve Rubel's Micropersuasion blog, which is always interesting, even though I'm not in PR or Marketing. That's might be his focus, but it's certainly not his scope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home