odd-lot thoughts

Monday, September 27, 2004

The blogging conversation continues

As blogs become more popular and more prevalent, you get more conversations. Some are useful, some are just noise.

I spent some time this weekend clicking the "next blog" button on the upper-right, just to see what's out there. In the past, I've found a few good blogs that way, such as The City Birder. This time I didn't see one thing that interested me. And I found a few sites that depressed the hell out of me.

The sites that didn't interest me were either empty, or full of kid stuff -- what a day someone had in school, who likes who, who went out where, and the like. Sometimes that's fun to read, but I guess I wasn't in the mood this time. Kids wouldn't agree with me, of course.

The stuff that depressed me were what I call "link farms." Just a bunch of links and repetitive terms, obviously meant for search engines. There was one about bed-and-breakfasts, that was just a bunch of links to different sites. Each link had a paragraph of description, but the text was identical. Only the link changed -- b&bs in Georgia, b&bs in New York, etc.

That blog (hosted for free on Blogger) depressed me because it's just noise, no content. There's already too much noise. Ironic that Google (who owns Blogger) hosts for free a site designed to get around Googles algorithms.

I think as blogs become more common, the value of the connectors and mavens* will increase. People won't be able to explore as much, so what folks like Robert Scoble, or Amy Gahran, or Michael Feldstein say and who they link to, will be come more and more important.

As will services such as Technorati and Bloglines.

-----------
*See The Tipping Point for details on connectors and mavens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home